RULES AND REGULATIONS
All coaches should be familiar with the TSSAA and USTA rules and regulations for Tennis. Please read all of the Tennis information on the links below.
If you have any questions please contact:
Kai Washington, SCIAA
CITY OF MEMPHIS AVAILABLE TENNIS COURTS
All matches will be played at the designated tennis centers at 4:00 P.M. unless otherwise indicated, and must be completed by dusk.
Coaches should call the Tennis Coordinator to reserve courts at the center you wish to use for practices, matches and tournaments.
Germantown-C.O. Franklin Park 7725 Poplar Pike, 38138
Park Services Tennis Center Rules and Regulations
1. Outdoor courts open at 2:30 p.m. and play must finish by dusk. Call the tennis center where you will be playing in the event of inclement weather by 1:30 p.m..
2. Call in advance to reserve courts for practice. Coaches must be present with athletes to practice. Two courts will be reserved for practices. However, more courts may be used if available.
3. Cancellation Policy: If a match is canceled or rescheduled the home team has the responsibility to notify SCIAA.
4. All athletes need to sign in each time at the tennis center.
5. Proper tennis attire is required. Shirts must be worn at all times. Only non-marking tennis shoes will be allowed on the courts.
6. Profane language, abusive behavior, obscene gestures and unsportsmanlike conduct are prohibited. Excessive noise will not be tolerated.
7. Teams may borrow tennis equipment from the tennis center if available. Please make sure that before leaving the courts that the courts are free of trash and debris, all balls are picked up, including balls hit over the fence, and all equipment is returned promptly.
8. Please be courteous at all times using proper tennis etiquette. Wait until the group on the court’s time is up before taking your court.
9. No food on the courts. You may take water and sports drinks to the courts.
10. SCIAA matches and practices will not be charged.
11. Tennis Memphis Office: 374-0603 Fax: 374-0627
EQUIPMENT & UNIFORMS
Each school is responsible for providing five NEW, UNOPENED cans of tennis balls (tournament quality tennis balls such as Wilson, Penn, Dunlop) at each match. One team will provide tennis balls for the boys’ matches and the opposing team will provide balls for the girls’ matches.
The athletes should only wear school issued tennis uniforms and all athletes participating shall be dressed in the same uniform. This includes shirts and shorts. Name brand logos on clothing can be no larger than a business card. Shirts must be worn at all times. Teams are allowed to wear polo styled shirts (school uniform shirts are acceptable) and shorts, sweat pants, warm-up pants, and tennis skirts are acceptable with tennis shoes.
REGULAR SEASON MATCHES & SCORING
All matches will be played at the designated tennis centers at 4:00 p.m. unless otherwise indicated and need to be completed by dusk. Coaches should call respective tennis centers to schedule practices & games.
Five singles matches and two doubles match are played to determine the winner of the match. Singles matches will be played first followed by doubles. Your line up (singles and doubles) MUST have players arranged (seeded) in order of ability.
The winning team must win 4 out of the 7 matches. Matches will be 8 Game Pro-Sets with no-ad scoring. The minimum number of players on a team is 3. Additional practice matches may be played if both coaches agree and there is adequate time and space available.
Line-ups must be exchanged between the coaches before each match. After the exchange, no change in the line-ups are permitted except if after the matches are slated to begin, a player fails to appear, due to unforeseen circumstances, or becomes incapacitated, by becoming ill. A coach can insert an alternate name into the same position of the absent/incapacitated player provided that the game is not in progress. Any player substituted for is barred from playing the rest of that match.
The permanent order of singles players must be established prior to the third regularly scheduled match and submitted to the SCIAA Tennis Coordinator. Any changes in the order of your line-up must be resubmitted to the SCIAA Tennis Coordinator before you play your new line-up in any match.
All teams must schedule a minimum of 7 matches with SCIAA teams to complete your league schedule.
You are only allowed 22 regular season matches. Tournaments count as two matches.
REMINDER: Coaches should call Tennis Coordinator to schedule practices & games; coaches must enter scores on www.sciaa.org.
SCIAA CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
Singles and Doubles qualifiers will be seeded based on their SCIAA record in each league. Championship Rules will apply.
SCIAA TENNIS TEAMS
TENNIS COACH CHECKLIST